ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Sirchai Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:18 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

» Extending Non-O Multiple E question(s)
by gungchang Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:03 pm

» How I Got/Am Going to Get My License
by Buoyant Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Top posting users this month
Sirchai
Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Vote_lcapCringeworthy English From Native Speakers Voting_barCringeworthy English From Native Speakers Vote_rcap 
Buoyant
Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Vote_lcapCringeworthy English From Native Speakers Voting_barCringeworthy English From Native Speakers Vote_rcap 
Rastus

September 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site » The Teachers' Lounge » Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers

Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 am

Buoyant

Buoyant
Silver member
Silver member
deep seeded racism

(in an MSNBC video title)

2Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 am

gungchang

gungchang
melpew - May I help you? - heard at a fast food counter

jeetyet - Did you eat yet?  -  should be Have you eaten yet?

supersalad - not Superman - soup or salad - heard from your waiter or waitress

3Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Harry Bean

Harry Bean
"should of"
"your" instead of "you're"

4Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Rastus

Rastus
Yesterday I go shopping. I buy two new shirt.

5Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 am

gungchang

gungchang
The ironic thing about this "incorrect" English is that it has only one marker for past ("yesterday" suffices, there is no need to say "went" instead of "go" or "bought" instead of "buy") and one for plural ("two" suffices, there is no need for a plural "s"). I think that a lot of incorrect English is more correct than correct English.

6Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Buoyant

Buoyant
Silver member
Silver member
Rastus wrote:Yesterday I go shopping. I buy two new shirt.

That's good, but it's not from a native speaker.  (See thread title.)  Mangled English grammar from Thai speakers is another good topic for another thread, but they are really two different beasts.

Btw, if my student said those sentences, they would quickly regret it.  I never let them get away with that crap.  No mercy. I function like that electric collar that shocks dogs every time they bark. (Although I would never use that on a dog.)

7Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Harry Bean

Harry Bean
Buoyant wrote:

That's good, but it's not from a native speaker.  (See thread title.)  Mangled English grammar from Thai speakers is another good topic for another thread, but they are really two different beasts.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've met plenty of native speakers who have been in Thailand for "some time" speak like that to Thais. Maybe it's because they think they are easier to understand, Then it eventually becomes their normal speaking pattern. I even once went for an interview with an agency in Bangkok and the Western recruiter spoke like that when he was interviewing me - needless to say, I didn't take that job.

8Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Rastus

Rastus
Buoyant wrote:

That's good, but it's not from a native speaker.  (See thread title.)
It was from a native English speaker. (See thread title).

Harry Bean wrote: I've met plenty of native speakers who have been in Thailand for "some time" speak like that to Thais.
Yes, and that's the case in the example I gave above.

9Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Buoyant

Buoyant
Silver member
Silver member
... the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, to help your God?

10Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:16 pm

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin
Buoyant wrote:... the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, to help your God?

gotta love the acceptance

11Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers Empty Re: Cringeworthy English From Native Speakers on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:30 pm

gungchang

gungchang
One British teacher was distressed when the coursebook for his class taught "wanna" (want to).

What distressed me is that he pronounced it like the word "Lanna" in "Lanna Thai" as opposed to saying "won a" (as in "he won a prize") quickly.

I couldn't understand what he was saying, and when I finally did, I cringed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum