ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

A question for teachers at government high schools......

+4
ttompatz
kruhjoe
bahn_farang
Sirchai
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sirchai

Sirchai

Dear members,

I'd like to know how many contact hours you've got per week.

I'm on 20 hours, 14 of them grade 11, ordinary program with 50 minutes and 50 students a week, plus six hours of an IEP class who see my face six times a week.

Any posts are welcome, but if the grammar arschloch is still around, please keep it there, form where you'd pulled it out. wai

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Hello,

I was on 16, this year 17, next year 18.

Gov high school

kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

I was on 22 up until last week. From this week on, I'm on 18.

http://thailandteaching.info

ttompatz

ttompatz

Teachers here are contracted for 22 classes (50 minutes) but the reality is usually 18-20 classes per week.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

"Dear members,

I'd like to know how many contact hours you've got per week."

Can one ask why? You give no reason as to why you are asking the question.

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Can I ask why you are asking why ELTony?

Yes of course :-)

It would seem strange to ask a question as an opening post with no reason for the question - that is why I asked if there was a specific reason for the question.

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Yes, ELTony, that had slipped passed me and seems like a perfectly reasonable request to be honest.

Mike123_ca

I think its good that these questions are asked and answered. As teacher's we will never get the same benefits that the thai government teacher's. I think it would be reasonable that as foreign teachers working here, we as a group should be entitled to similar working conditions.

If the average number of teaching hours is 20 hours, then I know where I should draw the line during contract negotiations.

Last term at my government high school all the foreign teachers had 20 + teaching hours.
The thai english teachers worked between 12 to 16 hours a week.

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Totally agree with knowing the going rate and working conditions. I have recently had a small improvement in my own working conditions based on the fact that I learned that I was being treated differently from other foreign teachers.

That said, let's not compare Thai teachers with foreign teachers as that would be akin to comparing apples with oranges.

The thing is though, there is a lot more to a job than just contact hours. What about office hours, extra duties and competition preparation? You also need to take into account the age of the students, 20 hours of KG is totally different to 20 hours of M6. And of course if you teach the same lesson multiple times per week, that is easier than having 20 different lessons per week.

Myself, I have 5 x 2.5 Hrs lessons per week, of varying subjects each semester.

For instance, I am not sure that you can compare 3 periods of "general conversation" with a 3 period lesson on "academic writing for research reports".

I think to even begin to judge a job on contact hours is pointless.

:-)

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Totally agree with you ELTony, we need to get a little bit smarter than the association of total hours with equality of work.

could I even stretch the conversation to... we need to disassociate salary from total quality of employment?

Now there's a stick in the hornets' nest.

My salary is low, very low, but my job is great, what you feel about a position should be far more important than "how many hours" - that just pangs of " I am only here for the money".

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

quite agree

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Heads up Sirchai,

If you ask a question its polite to interact on the thread.

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Hello, I am going to apply for a English teaching job in Thailand. Please tell me 3 year full time Bachelor + cambridge english proficiency certificate(CPE) accepted in Thai law for teaching license+work permit?

ttompatz

ttompatz

sarmi1993 wrote:Hello, I am going to apply for a English teaching job in Thailand. Please tell me 3 year full time Bachelor + cambridge english proficiency certificate(CPE) accepted in Thai law for teaching license+work permit?

The CPE is not recognized. You would need to do a TOEIC test.

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Okay. Thank you for assistance.

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Topic ibt 90 minimum required?

gungchang

gungchang

Am I the only who's noticed that ElTony is 1stevec?

:-)

Or rather, that sarmi1993 & ElTony are both socks for that annoying troll?

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Everything OK?

22A question for teachers at government high schools...... Empty contract hours Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:57 pm

gungchang

gungchang

Sirchai wrote:Dear members,

I'd like to know how many contact hours you've got per week.

I'm on 20 hours, 14 of them grade 11, ordinary program with 50 minutes and 50 students a week, plus six hours of an IEP class who see my face six times a week.

Any posts are welcome, but if the grammar arschloch is still around, please keep it there, form where you'd pulled it out. wai

I don't know.  It's in my contract somewhere; however, the Chinese language contract takes precedence over the English language contract, and I really haven't ever known much about what I sign.

Last edited by gungchang on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

I did not get any. I just asked Toeic ibt score 90 accepted in Thai teachers council and labour department?

gungchang

gungchang

bahn_farang wrote:Heads up Sirchai,

If you ask a question its polite to interact on the thread.

I'm guessing that the probable presence of unwanted guests on the thread is keeping him away.

ttompatz

ttompatz

sarmi1993 wrote:I did not get any. I just asked Toeic ibt score 90 accepted in Thai teachers council and labour department?

There is no such thing as a TOEIC IBT so you could not have a score of 90/
IF you were meaning to simply convert your CPE score to an equivalent TOEFL IBT score then no. You need one of:
TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS.

IF you meant that you have an actual TOEFL IBT and a score of 90 then that is acceptable to immigration and Krusapha.
Your test must be current (less than 2 years old).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum