ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

3 year full time Bachelor + cambridge english proficiency certificate

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Today at 10:53 pm
by sarmi1993
Hello, I am going to apply for a English teaching job in Thailand. Please tell me 3 year full time Bachelor + cambridge english proficiency certificate(CPE) accepted in Thai law for teaching license+work permit?


kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

sarmi1993 wrote:
Today at 10:53 pm
by sarmi1993
Hello, I am going to apply for a English teaching job in Thailand. Please tell me 3 year full time Bachelor + cambridge english proficiency certificate(CPE) accepted in Thai law for teaching license+work permit?


Hi Sarmi,

Welcome to the forum!
welcome 2

What field is your bachelor degree in? Education?

Anyways, the answer is yes. With a bachelor degree you can apply for a job, get a non-immigrant B visa, a temporary teaching permit, and a work permit.

With a degree in Education, however, you would be eligible for a full (5 years) teaching licence.

In both ways, you'll need to get a certified copy of your original degree(s) at your country's embassy here in Bangkok.

http://thailandteaching.info

OP, what country are you from ?

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

India

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

As I know they require to complete a 1 year study course in education for teaching license. If it's 1 year( withing Thailand) then I can do it but obtaining another degree by studying full time 2 years (B.ed in India full time 2 years) won't be possible for me. Thank you so much for answering my query. You are an awesome person.

OK, you need to be aware that the ONLY place you can apply for any sort of Thai visa is in India - do not come here thinking you will get a Non-B visa either in or outside the country, you will have to go back to India, or have your future employer send the paperwork to you in India, before you come here.

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

I understand. Just one last question. You said I need to get certified copy of my degrees by Indian embassy in Thailand. Still applicable for me as I am applying from India?

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

I am very confused regarding academic documents. Some saying notarize them, some saying apostles...

gungchang

gungchang

I don't think that Thailand signed the Hague thingie and therefore doesn't recognize an apostil.

Technically, you're not notarizing, you're legalizing. That is the route you want to take.

Be aware that India is not NES.  This presents a few hoops to jump through, both legal and cultural.

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

I have thought I will legalise all my documents from Thai embassy India. And I don't know whether I will ever get a teaching job in Thailand being a Non-Nes.I won't give up.

gungchang

gungchang

I have a thought. Not being from a NES country is the least of your problems. Teachers from Spain, France, Germany, Finland, Romania, etc. have no problem. They have white skins.

This may be an inconvenient truth for you, but complexion is important in Thailand.

There are tons of Philippine teachers and some Burmese teachers, but they have education degrees and are easily accepted in Thailand.

I suppose you might find something in Nakorn Nowhere, but you really are in for an uphill battle.

A CELTA might serve you better. You could seek work someplace other than Thailand.

There's a saying in Thailand that involves Indians and cobras. You don't want to hear it. If you were to hear it, you'd probably forget about working in Thailand.

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Don't worry. I am fair skinned. Young Female.Just country of passport is India. That's the biggest problem. And CELTA is out of my consideration. First of all I am non new so least chances of employment hence might prove useless as an investment. Taking 300 hour online TESOL+20 hour Teaching Practicum. That's all I can do for myself.

Sirchai

Sirchai

sarmi1993 wrote:I understand. Just one last question. You said I need to get certified copy of my degrees by Indian embassy in Thailand. Still applicable for me as I am applying from India?

Op, in what language was your degree issued? If it's not in English it has to be translated into Thai and "authenticated."

You'll also need a TOEIC certificate that can easily be done.

Best of luck!!

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

It's in English . Sir, TOEIC has 2 parks listening+reading and speaking+writing. Which one I should take for scoring atleast 600+ . Can I take Tofel ibt?

ttompatz

ttompatz

You can take the TOEFL IBT but the TOEIC is cheaper (by about 1/2).
IELTS is also accepted.
You only need the reading / listening part of the test.

As an Indian you will need:
* degree - authenticated for use abroad - probably at the Thai embassy in India.
* Transcript of academic records from your university.
* police clearance.
* TOEIC test result (TOEFL also accepted).
* passport with more than 1 year validity remaining.

The best time to be looking for work is late April.
The worst time is Dec-Feb (school year ends in Feb).

Make and upload a short video of yourself (self introduction & personal teaching philosophy) and upload it to YouTube. Send the link to employers along with your application and scans of your TOEIC test result and degree.

If your diction is clear and your appearance is acceptable then it will improve your odds of being accepted as an applicant. If you sound like you have a typical, strong, Indian accent then your chances will quickly drop to "0" (anywhere, not just Thailand).

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Yes.I will do that. No, my accent is light. My TEFL lacks teaching practicum so better I provide voluntary teaching in Thailand and then apply to a teaching position. Do you have Skype? You can befriend me.I like having new friends:)

ttompatz

ttompatz

Don't worry about your TEFL or practicum. 6 hours of practicum (as offered in most TEFL courses) is about the same as 2 days of real classroom time. You will learn more in your first week on the job.

5 documents and create yourself an on-line introduction to send to employers. It is them you need to convince since there is a strong bias against Indians in Thailand (or Cambodia or Vietnam).

If they think you are worth it then you have a chance.
Otherwise you will need to look for work at home.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

I will do everything

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

No, my TEFL is online only. So, 1 month voluntary teaching

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Going there in March and returning in April. Then going back; again in May. Your blessings are with me!!!! Smile

gungchang

gungchang

3 year full time Bachelor + cambridge english proficiency certificate C0a9112165e56baa6ca289fe6cef9756

Sirchai

Sirchai

sarmi1993 wrote:Going there in March and returning in April. Then going back; again in May. Your blessings are with me!!!! Smile

Please be aware that a TESOL, or TEFL isn't really needed, what they want to see is a BA in any field.

You can do the TOEIC in Bangkok, here's the website where you can make your appointment.:

https://toeicrts.ets.org/WebRegistration/toeic/StartPage.html

Please check on Pirate bay and download TOEIC test material and prepare yourself.

It's very important for you as an NNES to have a very high TOEIC score, even when some Asian teachers only got 500 points out of 950, which is basically the level of a four year old NES.........

The test was changed and got a bit more difficult, they use American English which might be easier for you to comprehend.

You can't just volunteer where you want, even for volunteers is a work permit needed and being on a tourist visa doesn't allow you to work.

There are schools that hire teachers as " trainers", or "teacher's assistants", it's not really legal, but seems to be accepted.

Please get in touch with teaching agencies, they might hire you and you'll get in touch with schools that might be interested in you when you're doing  a great job.

GEC in Bangkok is one of them, please Google them. Best of luck finding what you're looking for! wai

sarmi1993

Bronze member
Bronze member

Thanks a lot. Actually I have done everything in may and couldnt find a job there. I couldnt impress them with my teaching style also payment scale os very low for non -NES teachers. They mostly prefer Filipinos.Their students' standard of english was so low that they can't even understand the simple difference between past, present and future tenses even in the 7th standard! I became crazy to make them understand about english tense system. Og god! So I got 825in TOEIC. Whatever, I plan to open my restaurant in india next year and make a decent earning from that. So no more job search. I am done! Still, thanks a lot for helping me Smile

Sirchai

Sirchai

sarmi1993 wrote:Thanks a lot. Actually I have done everything in may and couldnt find a job there.  I couldnt impress them with my teaching style also payment scale os very low for non -NES teachers. They mostly prefer Filipinos.Their students' standard of english was so low that they can't even understand the simple difference between past,  present and future tenses even in the 7th standard! I became crazy to make them understand about english tense system. Og god! So I got 825in TOEIC. Whatever,  I plan to open my restaurant in india next year and make a decent earning from that.  So no more job search. I am done! Still,  thanks a lot for helping me Smile  

Hello,

I'm only posting because I can see that you are online. Your TOEIC score is not bad and if you're still interested, why don't you get in touch with an agency? GEC in Bangkok is one of them.

BTW, please forget about their grammar skills, too many Thai teachers are trying to hammer grammar into the kids' brains, but you'll have to have a certain amount of vocabulary to be able to use grammar.

I'll send you a private message with the contact details of the HRM of GEC.

Cheers- wai

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum