ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Am I the only one who's experiencing financial difficulties?

+4
DigitalGypsy
Sirchai
Topper
kruhjoe
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

Sirchai wrote: and without an income at this time really difficult to stay calm.

If you are looking for a new job, I might be able to help you.
The question is would you mind moving to elsewhere in Thailand or you want to find a job near where you live?

http://thailandteaching.info

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

I know of other foreign teachers who find it difficult to survive on the salary paid to a foreign teacher. Almost every teacher I've met here seems to struggle. So you're not alone.

Sirchai

Sirchai

Thanks a lot, Kruejoe. I really appreciate your offer but I truly hope that there'll be a job right after this term. If not, I can go to the SS and get enough money to survive a few months.

My wife's brother isn't in good health and her family so far away wouldn't be helpful at all.

On the other hand, I wouldn't like to send money every month, just to live here.

Please excuse my honest post, but too many things have changed and I might even consider to go back and do something for my retirement.

But the naked truth is that I couldn't live in my country of origin anymore. The perfect Catch 22. 

Let's face it, most of us look forward to a very little sum, but only if we make it that long.

Theoretically, I'd have to work until I'm 66.5. then I'd be able to pay for my Diesel oil per month.

I've got the feeling that I'm working more and more for less money what I had 10 years ago.

But that's not all. A lot of schools see people like us more than a tool, not as human beings.

I don't wanna be rich, but if I can't even pay my monthly bills I might have to rethink all.  thank you

"If not, I can go to the SS and get enough money to survive a few months." - you will only get unemployment benefit if you have paid in enough consecutive months, and even then it is a maximum of 7.5 k a month for 6 months.

kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

1stevec wrote:"Absolute twaddle, you strike me as an attention seeker - posting just to get points, and worse, posting pointless twaddle.

Dear 1stevec,

Please refrain from criticizing personalities and vituperation of others. This is not that forum. Thank you.

Kruhjoe
Admin of TTI

http://thailandteaching.info

DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy

1stevec wrote:"Am I the only one who's experiencing that?"

Honestly, with a title like that, should you be anywhere near an English classroom?

As to the rest of your wandering rant, it is not worth commenting, you made your bed - lie in it.

FFS 1stevec give it a rest... this is a forum based on a heritage of mutual respect, support, and friendliness. If you've got nothing constructive to say I'd suggest you keep your negativity to yourself, and your acidity to boot. They're surplus to requirements.

Life is often harsh here in 'the matrix', a little empathy and a modicum of common courtesy please.

Capiche?

DG

Sirchai

Sirchai

1stevec wrote:"If not, I can go to the SS and get enough money to survive a few months." - you will only get unemployment benefit if you have paid in enough consecutive months, and even then it is a maximum of 7.5 k a month for 6 months.

Thanks for your very intelligent comments. Why don't you get your facts straight before you post?

1. Unemployment benefits end when you're 55 +.

2. I could go to the SS department today, ask for all money that was paid in and get all in cash, currently around 100 K.

3.I would still be able to continue paying in privately and have full coverage.

I've seen a few posts now where you are only criticising others. Does that give you a kick?

Sirchai wrote:
1stevec wrote:"If not, I can go to the SS and get enough money to survive a few months." - you will only get unemployment benefit if you have paid in enough consecutive months, and even then it is a maximum of 7.5 k a month for 6 months.

Thanks for your very intelligent comments. Why don't you get your facts straight before you post?

2. I could go to the SS department today, ask for all money that was paid in and get all in cash, currently around 100 K.

I've seen a few posts now where you are only criticising others. Does that give you a kick?

1. I did not realise you were over 55.

2+3. If you take the lump sum, (because you have paid less than 180 months) then that is is, cover stops - you can not then continue to pay privately.

"Benefit Payouts
             Benefits paid out to insured persons are of two types:
1. Old-age lump sum paid out under the following conditions:
             (1) Insured person had made consistent contributions for less than 180 months.
             (2) Cessation of insured status."

As you so rightly said, it is important to get all the facts correct

:-)

Sirchai

Sirchai

1stevec wrote:
Sirchai wrote:

1. I did not realise you were over 55.

2+3. If you take the lump sum, (because you have paid less than 180 months) then that is is, cover stops - you can not then continue to pay privately.

"Benefit Payouts
             Benefits paid out to insured persons are of two types:
1. Old-age lump sum paid out under the following conditions:
             (1) Insured person had made consistent contributions for less than 180 months.
             (2) Cessation of insured status."

As you so rightly said, it is important to get all the facts correct

:-)

Do you really believe that I'm into "splitting hairs" now?

I've been at the SS office only a few weeks ago and found out that I can continue by paying in 432 baht, even after taking my money out.

I had my wife with me to make sure that there's no misunderstanding and two employees told me that I can continue.

10Am I the only one who's experiencing financial difficulties?  Empty Your nasty replies Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

I've just seen that you called me an "attention seeker", then you continue with your way of criticizing others, without even writing anything that's on topic.

Nope, I'm not trying to sample points, that's something that you assume. 

I'm neither seeking attention nor am I trying to score here.

It was about people in this country who seem to encounter financial problems and I know that I'm not the only one.

If you don't have something to add, please just don't waste your so valuable time.

P.S. You didn't know my age? it's right under my Avatar.

gungchang

gungchang

1stevec does seem to embody the difference between thailandteaching.asia and ajarnforum.net

Perhaps it's time for IC Teacher, Sadly Confused, and other distinguished posters from past forums to join 1stevec and start ajarnforum.info?

gungchang

gungchang

I have tales of woe.

My first visa run was in 1983.  I traveled with my blushing bride on a shoestring budget. We took a bus ride, which included at least one ferry crossing.  It was a modest adventure.  I started to get off the bus in the middle of nowhere. My wife and the driver stopped me.  We hopped off in Sungai Golok.  My wife was sure she could cross into Malaysia with me.  She had made a day trip to Burma and had just assumed that she could go to Malaysia.

I reached the consulate shortly before closing.  I didn't realize that there was a Malay holiday approaching and that it was now or never.  I also forgot passport photos.  Remember, my wife and I are on opposite sides of the border.  She has no money.  

An unhappy but helpful consular aide hid in the bushes while I went to get photos and returned.  He then issued the visa while I waited, not the next day.  Remember, I should have returned the next morning just to apply.  This guy saved two asses, mine and my wife's.

We spent the night in hotel on the Thai side and took a 3rd class train back to Thonburi.

I've noticed that some countries, like Lao and I think Cambodia, require payment in dollars. Malaysia required Ringgit. I'd never heard of a consulate requiring payment in baht. It varies.  Check before you go.

I once was stuck with British pounds issued by Gibralter.  England, Scotland, Northern Ireland:  no problem.  But Gibralter, Isle of Man, you must spend those puppies where they're issued.  A tourist who had just arrived took my rock of pounds off my hands.

I was trapped in Cambodia twice.  Once was a visa run.  I forgot my letter for a non-im and had to get a tourist visa. Then, there was a bank holiday.  There were no ATMs before the coup in 1997, and a bank holiday was extended to two days, which stopped me from getting a cash advance at a bank.  I finally went to the Sofitel.  I was not a guest, but the manager on duty and I had both stopped by Cleopatra's at the Sofitel Khon Kaen.  That and the bank holiday was enough.  The hotel took my card and issued a cash advance. I still had only a small $1 bottle of water to last me several hours as I waited for my flight out.  I was so happy to see my plane dock at the jetway.  The stewardess must have brought a dozen glasses of water.

I purchased my wife's ticket to Mongolia using the name in her old passport.  This caused tense moments and a trip to the airport in search of somebody who thought we could still use the ticket. Somebody suggested a letter from the school for immigration in China.  Immigration never saw it, but I dropped somebody's name and the airline in Bangkok saw it and had me sign a release of liability and we got into China.  My wife then used her old passport to board the transfer flight and nobody noticed that the passport was expired. A train trip from Wuhan to Mongolia would have been neither cheap nor fun.

The Chinese consulate in Thailand accepted our marriage certificate legalized by Korea.  They shouldn't have.  I learned of this when we arrived in Mongolia and was told to go back to Thailand sometime and get Chinese stamps.  I forgot.  This created another panic situation over a year later and I wound up traveling alone during "spring break" (which is actually in the dead of winter). Airports and planes were both packed.

Then there was the time I threw away my return ticket . . .

BKKSomchai

BKKSomchai

Leaving to get a new visa once, took a train all the way to the Laos border (I think) only to be stopped from leaving because I hadn't cancelled my visa. had a good 8 hour wait for the train back, empty handed, poor and still had to go get a new visa.

gungchang

gungchang

It would be thoughtful if immigration allowed people to leave without canceling a WP.

They could always allow the traveler ten days to take care o thisf upon his return.

Do you have no income from your home country ?

I am not yet 50 and have been receiving a pension for over 8 years already,(the pension is larger than my salary).

To be honest, living here with a family on a teacher's salary is not a lot of fun, and makes no solid provision for the future.

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

1stevec wrote:

To be honest, living here with a family on a teacher's salary is not a lot of fun, and makes no solid provision for the future.

What a terrible generalisation. Without knowing the specifics of each teacher's salary, I fail to see how such a statement is logically defensible.

Whilst I respect your apparent assumption that fun is dependant on money or vice versa, others may view life through a very different lens.

bahn_farang wrote:
1stevec wrote:

What a terrible generalisation. Without knowing the specifics of each teacher's salary, I fail to see how such a statement is logically defensible.

Whilst I respect your apparent assumption that fun is dependant on money or vice versa, others may view life through a very different lens.

I know that the OP was teaching in a government K12 school and based my statement on that, (the average wage for that job is well known).

When I said "fun", do not interpret that wrongly, what I meant was, that it is no barrel of laughs being short of money.

"I've noticed that some countries, like Lao and I think Cambodia, require payment in dollars."

Both Savannakhet and Vientiane accept Thai Baht.

Hermes

Bronze member
Bronze member

I'm new here but recall you were a regular TV poster.

Almost any public school salary will be inadequate for someone with a family. My public pays well, plus a massive monthly stipend. I dare say we are best paid public school teachers in Thailand. Good Bangkok schools are getting smart, scooping up good teachers before they all leave.

I recall, you have a home and a car?? as well...I understand you live in provs, have a family, NEED a car. Change that. You've fallen into the same trap as living in your home country. Stuff.

I don't know how you manage finances but would imagine that your salary sucks. So yeah, I'm sure life is not so enjoyable and family missing opportunities.

Highly advisable to move. Once relocated you can make at best 40-47k in a public school + some work Saturdays at mall schools. If that doesn't cut it then you really need other sources of income.

Sell your car. Move and teach in Nonthaburi. Not a bad place although there are sketchy schools. Purple line gets you into BKK proper. I know a public that will pay 36-42 for Europeans, in Suan Luang. Both areas good potential for privates or many jobs tutoring at malls.

You've run out of options long ago bro, you need to take some action.

I know two schools, one with a very good name that honestly must be crap to work in. In fact, I know its dreadful lol. Anyway, they are constantly looking for teachers.

The Sarasass circus is constantly looking for teachers. NES make 38-40. With your experience, you could possibly get the same.

With targeted effort, Europeans I'd think could make 35-40k here in BKK. Your wife could potentially make 9-10k in a big retail outlet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum