ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Mike123_ca

I see on Ajarn.com job board advertisements for teachers to use the internet to teach foreign students. With all the paperwork and hassles to to teach legally in Thailand, I don't see myself getting a work permit to teach on-line.

Maybe those who already have a work permit for teaching can add on-line teaching to their current work permit.

Judging from the compensation that is offered by on-line teaching appears far superior than government teaching wages offered to foreign teachers.

2Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty WP 4 online teaching Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 am

gungchang

gungchang

I did some online teaching, and I never thought of how it would affect my WP.

I suppose that the tax dept. would want a cut of my earnings, though.

I don't foresee them culling online sites and hunting down the teachers in Thailand.

The simple answer is no, it is not legal, and you would never get a WP for it. The reality is that you are never going to get caught, you are doing it from the comfort of your home.

4Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty Re: Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 am

gungchang

gungchang

How do you know it isn't legal?

Why can't one get a WP for it?

Why do you assume it's done at home (as opposed to Siam Computer, for example)?

5Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty Re: Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Mike123_ca

ELTony wrote:The simple answer is no, it is not legal, and you would never get a WP for it. The reality is that you are never going to get caught, you are doing it from the comfort of your home.

As ELTony said above is exactly what I believe.

6Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty Re: Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Mike123_ca

gungchang wrote:How do you know it isn't legal?

Why can't one get a WP for it?

After seeing some online advertisements for online teaching at Ajarn.com and Facebook. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

gungchang wrote:How do you know it isn't legal? Because for the reasons below, you would not have a WP.

Why can't one get a WP for it? 2 main reasons, firstly, most of the companies are not Thai, and therefore unable to apply for a work permit, and secondly, because I doubt that an online teaching company, (if Thai), would have the 4 Thai nationals per WP as required by law.

OK, I did assume that it would be done from home, and have based my answers on that.

8Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty Re: Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:16 am

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Solid answers to good questions.

Of course freelance online teaching is never going to get you an extension of stay but it may provide a comfortable life or sideline to afford a few little luxuries.

If the police were to apprehend every foreigner for getting additional income then Thailand would be a very empty place!

Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe

I suppose, technically you'd need your work permit and visa amended to teach online but as others have said, realistically I don't see anyone coming to kick your door down for teaching online.  I do remember a headline a few years ago of some people in the north of Thailand being raided.  As far as I recall they were were openly advertising what they were doing and I seem to remember they actually had an office set up, so asking for trouble.  As long as you keep your head down, I don't think anyone is too interested in someone earning a few baht which contributes to the local economy.  

I teach 4 hours a week.  My company pays a decent hourly rate and treats teachers well.  I get over 600 baht an hour plus bonuses, which usually make my hourly rate closer to 1000 THB.  It's a rapidly expanding market in China and there are lots of companies hiring.

PM me if you want a referral as  I get a nice bonus =) 

If you were to work full time, you'd be able to earn a lot more money than working for most government/private schools.  I know several people who teach full time and earn 60-70k a month.  

I have noticed a lot of teachers who have moved to China and Vietnam because of the stagnating wages and the general state of education in Thailand.  Those with families here might not be able to relocate easily, so online teaching is a good option.

10Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Empty Re: Is on-line teaching legal in Thailand? Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 pm

ttompatz

ttompatz

In a meeting with immigration officials that same question was posed.
The answer was:

If you are working online, alone, from the comfort of your home, they simply do not care.
Proving a case against you, even in the crooked Thai system, is virtually impossible (most of them pay to paypal or Western Union and are indistinguishable from an inbound remittance for any number of legitimate reasons (like money from family or friends).

IF you are working in a sweat-shop and paid locally like an unregistered teacher then you are subject to prosecution if caught. There was a couple of these up north that were shut down last year.

The same is true of YouTube content providers or any number of other digital nomads who currently call Thailand home.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum