ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

All About Work Permits

+2
Sirchai
kruhjoe
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1All About Work Permits Empty All About Work Permits Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:06 pm

kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

To legally work in Thailand, a foreigner must apply for a work permit. Work permit is a legal document that states a foreigner’s position, current occupation, or job description and the Thai company he is working with. It also serves as a license to perform a job or an occupation allowed for foreigners inside Thailand.

Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their type of visa, unless they are granted a work permit. Those who intend to work in Thailand must hold the correct type of visa to be eligible to apply for a work permit.

To secure a work permit in Thailand, a foreigner needs an initial visa, which is a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visa must be obtained before entering Thailand.

Once the foreigner has a non-immigrant visa, he may begin to process the work permit. The work permit process would take 7 business days to accomplish. Work permit application is processed in the Ministry of Labor office.

A foreigner is eligible to apply for a work permit as long as he has a non-immigrant visa or a resident visa, has an available employer who will provide documents for work permit, and the occupation he will perform is not prohibited to foreigners.

The applicant has to submit the following documents:

2 inches photo
   medical certificate
   original passport
   letter of employment
   certificate of degree
   address in Thailand

The employer has to provide the following:

company certificate and objectives
   list of shareholders
   application for VAT
   withholding tax of the company
   financial statement
   photocopy of the director’s passport and work permit with signature affixed
   office map
   letter of employment stating position and salary of applicant
   employment agreement

Once granted, the foreigner has to bring the work permit all the time especially at the work place and during working hours. Please note that the foreigner can only perform the job stated in the work permit and on the specific employer.

Retrieved on 16 July 2017 from: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/work-permit-rules.php

Last edited by kruhjoe on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://thailandteaching.info

2All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 am

Sirchai

Sirchai

kruhjoe wrote:
To legally work in Thailand, a foreigner must apply for a work permit. Work permit is a legal document that states a foreigner’s position, current occupation, or job description and the Thai company he is working with. It also serves as a license to perform a job or an occupation allowed for foreigners inside Thailand.

Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their type of visa, unless they are granted a work permit. Those who intend to work in Thailand must hold the correct type of visa to be eligible to apply for a work permit.

To secure a work permit in Thailand, a foreigner needs an initial visa, which is a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visa must be obtained before entering Thailand.

Once the foreigner has a non-immigrant visa, he may begin to process the work permit. The work permit process would take 7 business days to accomplish. Work permit application is processed in the Ministry of Labor office.

A foreigner is eligible to apply for a work permit as long as he has a non-immigrant visa or a resident visa, has an available employer who will provide documents for work permit, and the occupation he will perform is not prohibited to foreigners.

The applicant has to submit the following documents:

2 inches photo
   medical certificate
   original passport
   letter of employment
   certificate of degree
   address in Thailand

The employer has to provide the following:

company certificate and objectives
   list of shareholders
   application for VAT
   withholding tax of the company
   financial statement
   photocopy of the director’s passport and work permit with signature affixed
   office map
   letter of employment stating position and salary of applicant
   employment agreement

Once granted, the foreigner has to bring the work permit all the time especially at the work place and during working hours. Please note that the foreigner can only perform the job stated in the work permit and on the specific employer.

Retrieved on 16 July 2017 from: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/work-permit-rules.php

Thanks a lot, but how did you know that? My documents are all set in stone, even my provisional TL is online.

Great, because no more sweating when I see BIB at my school. Regarding the medical, we don't need it in our province. There's Thailand and Isaan.

3All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Needed download forms for all purposes from Thai Immigration's website here:

http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Please be aware that you've got to cancel your work permit when you've lost your job, otherwise they won't let you leave Thailand to apply for a new visa/extension of stay. For that, you'll also need a letter from your employer stating when your employment ended.

Theoretically, when you lose your job or decide to stop working, the visa automatically becomes void and you'll have to leave the country on the same day or apply for a 7-day visa for 1,900 baht at your Immigration.

I've met two teachers who're sent back to get their work permit canceled, plus a letter from the employer when their last day was.

Too many people believe they can just continue to stay here after losing their job, but the overstay starts right after the day of the last day at work.

Please read about renewal and cancellation of work permit here: http://www.personnel.nida.ac.th/main/images/HR_Eng/ENG-PIC/18.Work_Permit_Application.pdf

W P 5 form for renewing your work permit, letter of employment and Power of Attorney Letter:

http://www.interaffairs.psu.ac.th/images/download/WP5.pdf

P, S. The work permit must be renewed before expiration date !!!

4All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 am

"To secure a work permit in Thailand, a foreigner needs an initial visa, which is a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visa must be obtained before entering Thailand."

Incorrect, many people convert a visa exempt or tourist visa into a Non-B at Immigration in Thailand.

5All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:11 am

kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

1stevec wrote:"To secure a work permit in Thailand, a foreigner needs an initial visa, which is a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visa must be obtained before entering Thailand."

Incorrect, many people convert a visa exempt or tourist visa into a Non-B at Immigration in Thailand.

Hello 1stevec,

Welcome to ThailandTeaching.info forum!
welcome 3

Kruhjoe,
Admin TTi

http://thailandteaching.info

6All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 pm

"Regarding the medical, we don't need it in our province. There's Thailand and Isaan."

I teach in Issan and have taught in various provinces, and every single one required a medical for the work permit.

Maybe you don't have a work permit? We know you went to Savannakhet for a multi Non-O.

7All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

I am based in Chaiyaphum, which is in Issan. I needed a medical certificate the last time I applied for a work permit. I'll be including one with my next application which should be in 2 or 3 weeks time.

8All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

Sirchai wrote:.....
  Please be aware that you've got to cancel your work permit when you've lost your job, otherwise they won't let you leave Thailand to apply for a new visa/extension of stay. For that, you'll also need a letter from your employer stating when your employment ended.

Theoretically, when you lose your job or decide to stop working, the visa automatically becomes void and you'll have to leave the country on the same day or apply for a 7-day visa for 1,900 baht at your Immigration....  

Re the leaving Thailand/cancellation of visa bit: I understand this is the case if you hold a Non-Immigrant B visa. But not with a Non-Immigrant O visa.

If you hold a Non-Immigrant O visa then your visa remains in place and your permission to remain in Thailand stays in place until the 'permission to stay' date stamped in your passport by immigration.

9All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 am

"Re the leaving Thailand/cancellation of visa bit: I understand this is the case if you hold a Non-Immigrant B visa. But not with a Non-Immigrant O visa.

If you hold a Non-Immigrant O visa then your visa remains in place and your permission to remain in Thailand stays in place until the 'permission to stay' date stamped in your passport by immigration."

Visas are never cancelled, only extensions of stay. If you have a valid Non-B visa, you can stay until the end of your permission to stay too.

10All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Guest wrote:"Regarding the medical, we don't need it in our province. There's Thailand and Isaan."

I teach in Issan and have taught in various provinces, and every single one required a medical for the work permit.

Maybe you don't have a work permit? We know you went to Savannakhet for a multi Non-O.

An ordinary medical certificate you can get for 50 baht at every clinic was good enough. No syphilis test or Xrays needed/

I've got a work permit, do you want to see a scan, or is my word good enough?

11All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm

gungchang

gungchang

Sirchai wrote:
Guest wrote:

An ordinary medical certificate you can get for 50 baht at every clinic was good enough. No syphilis test or Xrays needed.

Since "Guest" is no longer with us, your word is gold.

Should you be asked something by another unwelcome guest, no, neither your word nor any evidence you produce will carry any weight. You might as well argue with the Flat Earth Society.

It's been years, but the last couple of 50 baht health certificates I got required a 200 baht + syphilis test. This came as a surprise to a Pinoy teacher who stopped at a clinic the day before the school visa guy was taking us to immigration. He had to miss a little work, scramble to get blood test rushed, and catch up to the rest of us at immigration.

12All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 am

Sirchai

Sirchai

gungchang wrote:
Sirchai wrote:
Guest wrote:

An ordinary medical certificate you can get for 50 baht at every clinic was good enough. No syphilis test or Xrays needed.

Since "Guest" is no longer with us, your word is gold.

Should you be asked something by another unwelcome guest, no, neither your word nor any evidence you produce will carry any weight. You might as well argue with the Flat Earth Society.

It's been years, but the last couple of 50 baht health certificates I got required a 200 baht + syphilis test. This came as a surprise to a Pinoy teacher who stopped at a clinic the day before the school visa guy was taking us to immigration.  He had to miss a little work, scramble to get blood test rushed, and catch up to the rest of us at immigration.

I had two medical notes from the private hospital in town, who did a syphilis check for 300 baht. It took only 20 minutes and the result was there.

But not all labor departments here want to see proof that a blood test was being done for sure. I knew that and told the lady at the clinic to add syphilis to the list and she did it.

The private hospital and a few clinics now have medical certificates with syphilis and TB- test on it, where no doctor has to be there and the usual 50 -60 baht do the job.

It's only a pain in the ar.e when you've got to go to a government hospital, because the doctor there can decide what's being checked. If he/she's got a bad day, you might have to pay for X-rays, urine test- drugs and the obligatory syphilis test.

That could be around 1,000 baht, or more and take a few hours, perhaps two days.

Not only the labor department in my province is more relaxed, it includes immigration and other institutions.

It's different in Ubon Ratchathani, km which is only 65 km away. They want a blood test and if they're not sure will ask you much you've paid for the document.

If it's less than 300 baht, they know that not all was being checked and they send you away to get it done.

It seems to be a much better advice to be on the safe side and go for one with syphilis and lungs tested. It's your own personal choice to get your blood checked or not.

It's perhaps good to mention the province when somebody's asking about the procedure and what's needed for the LD.

13All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

Submitted my work permit documentation on Monday at the labour office in Chaiyaphum, went with the head of department from school. Was told that my medical certificate might not be acceptable - the woman who accepted my application said she would check if the 'big boss' would accept it. I'll find out if was acceptable when I go to my appointment (tomorrow) to collect the work permit.

The woman at the labour office gave me one of their standard medical forms which asks about syphillis, tb, alcoholism and elephantisis. She suggested I might want to get it completed and bring it with me when I collect my work permit - because if the 'big boss' decides it's necessary they won't give me the work permit until I give them their standard medical certificate.

So tonight, after school, I went to the local clinic which gave me my first medical certificate - the one included with my application. It was a 50THB certificate saying I am in good health (which I am) and stating my blood pressure and heart rate, weight and height - everything normal for my age. I asked the doctor to complete the labour office's standard medical certificate. She refused saying that I needed to have blood and urine tests before she could sign that certificate; checks for alcohol and drugs she said! She recommended I go to the local hospital (open tomorrow).

Anyway, I'll go to collect my work permit tomorrow without the new medical certificate. If they insist on being given their standard medical certificate first, then I'll have to try and find a doctor tomorrow who will deal with it for me tomorrow. If that has to involve a trip to the hospital in Chaiyaphum and blood and urine tests and the associated expense I'll be pretty cross. I've never needed to have that done before for any medical for a job in the UK (or Thailand), and I don't like the extra expense or the thought of having a needle stuck in me. Incidentally, I don't do drugs; I drink a beer every now and then - maybe 3 bottles of beer a week, so I'm definitely not an alkie - nothing to fear from the blood & urine tests except the needle and the damage to my wallet.

14All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Good luck Topper on the tomorrow. You've been in Thailand long enough to know that the pencil pusher who may refuse you is just following orders of someone who has better things to do than deal with us humble teachers trying to make a living. Stay cool, nice clothes and lots of wai-ing all doctors orders tomorrow.

15All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 am

Sirchai

Sirchai

Topper wrote:Submitted my work permit documentation on Monday at the labour office in Chaiyaphum, went with the head of department from school. Was told that my medical certificate might not be acceptable - the woman who accepted my application said she would check if the 'big boss' would accept it. I'll find out if was acceptable when I go to my appointment (tomorrow) to collect the work permit.

The woman at the labour office gave me one of their standard medical forms which asks about syphillis, tb, alcoholism and elephantisis. She suggested I might want to get it completed and bring it with me when I collect my work permit - because if the 'big boss' decides it's necessary they won't give me the work permit until I give them their standard medical certificate.

So tonight, after school, I went to the local clinic which gave me my first medical certificate - the one included with my application. It was a 50THB certificate saying I am in good health (which I am) and stating my blood pressure and heart rate, weight and height - everything normal for my age. I asked the doctor to complete the labour office's standard medical certificate. She refused saying that I needed to have blood and urine tests before she could sign that certificate; checks for alcohol and drugs she said! She recommended I go to the local hospital (open tomorrow).

Anyway, I'll go to collect my work permit tomorrow without the new medical certificate. If they insist on being given their standard medical certificate first, then I'll have to try and find a doctor tomorrow who will deal with it for me tomorrow. If that has to involve a trip to the hospital in Chaiyaphum and blood and urine tests and the associated expense I'll be pretty cross. I've never needed to have that done before for any medical for a job in the UK (or Thailand), and I don't like the extra expense or the thought of having a needle stuck in me. Incidentally, I don't do drugs; I drink a beer every now and then - maybe 3 bottles of beer a week, so I'm definitely not an alkie - nothing to fear from the blood & urine tests except the needle and the damage to my wallet.

Sorry for my late reply, I guess you've got your work permit by now<>

There's nothing wrong and nothing unusual with the labor department telling you that they want " the whole package."

Thailand's 77 provinces might have the same law's and regulations but not all of them really want to see the "more advanced certificate."

I was in a similar situation and decided to go to a private hospital where they actually drew blood, I had to wait 20 minutes for the result, but no drug test, no liver check and it wasn't that expensive.

It was 400 and something baht and as in your case, the boss of the labor department wanted it.

I went a different way this time saw one of the smaller clinics and told the lady to put "syphilis" on the list of tested items.

I paid 50 baht, took three copies to make sure that I always have an original and all was fine.

16All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

Yes I've got the work permit now. The labour office wanted their own medical certificate completing. It involved a trip to the Government hospital - blood sample taken and analysed, urine sample taken and analysed, saliva sample taken and analysed, and chest x-ray taken and checked by doctor. Doctor told me that I was not an alcoholic, that I did not take drugs, that I was free from sexually transmitted diseases, and that my chest was fine. All of which I already knew. But at least once she completed the medical certificate to that effect the labour office would also know. Hospital costs THB500.

17All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

gungchang

gungchang

Glad to hear it. Jumping through hoops and over hurdles is such good exercise, too.

I'm confused. Are you in Chaiyapum or Kaset or elsewhere?

RE: medical exams for a WP

I had one when I was over sixty. It was for my health insurance, and it was not 500 baht. It was more thorough and more expensive.

I'm guessing I won't have another WP or medical exam in Thailand. I might have one last exam in China, if the school keeps me on through next June. Fun, fun, fun. My medical exam here is a somewhat different experience than in Thailand or in California.

Too bad the damn troll is gone. He could have told us that 500 baht is too much, that the exam isn't necessary &/or that you have to do it in the country where you apply for your non-im visa, etc.

18All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:10 pm

losing_touch

Bronze member
Bronze member

gungchang wrote:
I'm guessing I won't have another WP or medical exam in Thailand.  I might have one last exam in China, if the school keeps me on through next June.  Fun, fun, fun. My medical exam here is a somewhat different experience than in Thailand or in California.

For sure, the medical check in Beijing was no joke. I have never had so much blood taken in my life. I saw about 9 doctors!

19All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Guest wrote:"Regarding the medical, we don't need it in our province. There's Thailand and Isaan."

Why answering a troll?

20All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sun May 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Topper wrote:Yes I've got the work permit now. The labour office wanted their own medical certificate completing. It involved a trip to the Government hospital - blood sample taken and analysed, urine sample taken and analysed, saliva sample taken and analysed, and chest x-ray taken and checked by doctor.  Doctor told me that I was not an alcoholic, that I did not take drugs, that I was free from sexually transmitted diseases, and that my chest was fine. All of which I already knew. But at least once she completed the medical certificate to that effect the labour office would also know. Hospital costs THB500.

There's a small clinic in town where I usually get my medical. All I had to do was asking the nurse to add syphilis and she did it without a question.

Same happened in Ubon Ratchathani, where the boss of the labor department knew that a medical with a syphilis test, x-rays, etc is more than 500 baht, he's asking me how much I paid.

I answered 650 baht and he was okay with it.

Before I went to the local hospital in Ubon where a very unfriendly female doctor demanded various blood tests, one for drugs, syphilis, etc and x-rays.

I went to my clinic and got mine for 50 baht and was accepted.

21All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

gungchang wrote:Glad to hear it.  Jumping through hoops and over hurdles is such good exercise, too.

I'm confused.  Are you in Chaiyapum or Kaset or elsewhere?

I had one when I was over sixty. It was for my health insurance, and it was not 500 baht.  It was more thorough and more expensive.

I'm guessing I won't have another WP or medical exam in Thailand.  I might have one last exam in China, if the school keeps me on through next June.  Fun, fun, fun. My medical exam here is a somewhat different experience than in Thailand or in California.

Too bad the damn troll is gone.  He could have told us that 500 baht is too much, that the exam isn't necessary &/or that you have to do it in the country where you apply for your non-im visa, etc.

Sorry for the late reply. I've not been on here for a long time.  I live in Ampur Kaset Sombun, which is in Chaiyaphum province. My local hospital is Kaset Sombun.

When I applied for this particular work permit I was working at a school in Chaiyaphum province.

I have now left that school and am working at a different school this year - my new school is located in Kohn Kaen province.  I am currently getting a work permit for my new school.

It's interesting this time around because our school had a visit from Kohn Kaen immigration a few days ago to check our documents (there are a few foreign teachers at this school).  I entered Thailand on a Non Immigrant O visa (Thai wife) and my permission to stay in the country was granted on the grounds that I could continue to support my Thai wife.

I've never changed my visa to a Non Immigrant B. When we had a visit from Kohn Kaen immigration they told me I must change my visa to a Non Imm B to obtain a new work permit  (Utter rubbish of course which shows how ignorant of the law some of the immigration officers are).  When I challenged them on this point they said "you are in our jurisdiction now (Khon Kaen) and so must comply with our requirements"! It's a bit concerning that middle ranking immigration officers don't know the laws they are supposed to enforce - and of course they won't be told or accept something different that a foreigner tells them - if anything having a foreigner tell them their understanding of the law is wrong makes them even more intransigent.

Of course, I have no intention of changing to a Non Imm B visa. I make my 90 day reports to Chaiyaphum immigration (the province in which I live) not Khon Kaen, and I satisfy the financial requirements for remaining in Thailand to support my Thai wife.  I use my UK income to satisfy that financial test. As long as I make my 90 days reports to Chaiyaphum immigration (the province where I live) there's nothing for Khon Kaen immigration (the province where I work) to get upset about when they visit the school and ask to check my passport.  My passport shows that I have permission to stay and that I have been making my 90 day reports on time and regularly.

When I apply to the Labour Office (not immigration) for my new work permit it will be the Khon Kaen Labour Office this time (because the new school is in Khon Kaen province).  My last work permit was issued by Chaiyaphum Labour Office.

It will be interesting to see how the Labour Office staff in Khon Kaen react to my application - should be no different to Chaiyaphum really; although I can't help thinking that if the KK immigration officer is anything to go by I might expect Khon Kaen Labour Office to decide to be difficult.

I have last week seen that my application to Khru Sappha (spelling? - the Teachers Council of Thailand) for a second permit to teach has been successful. This new permit relates to my new school. That permit is being sent to my new school in the mail so ought to be here in a few days.  We will then go to the Khon Kaen Labour Office to submit the documentation for my new work permit.

Khon Kaen immigration told all us foreign teachers at the school that they will be back to visit the school again. We had no warning of their last visit and presumably won't get any warning of their next visit. Should be fun.

22All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Topper wrote:
gungchang wrote:Glad to hear it.  Jumping through hoops and over hurdles is such good exercise, too.

I'm confused.  Are you in Chaiyapum or Kaset or elsewhere?

I had one when I was over sixty. It was for my health insurance, and it was not 500 baht.  It was more thorough and more expensive.

Too bad the damn troll is gone.  He could have told us that 500 baht is too much, that the exam isn't necessary &/or that you have to do it in the country where you apply for your non-im visa, etc.

Sorry for the late reply. I've not been on here for a long time.  I live in Ampur Kaset Sombun, which is in Chaiyaphum province. My local hospital is Kaset Sombun.

When I applied for this particular work permit I was working at a school in Chaiyaphum province.

I have now left that school and am working at a different school this year - my new school is located in Kohn Kaen province.  I am currently getting a work permit for my new school.

It's interesting this time around because our school had a visit from Kohn Kaen immigration a few days ago to check our documents (there are a few foreign teachers at this school).  I entered Thailand on a Non Immigrant O visa (Thai wife) and my permission to stay in the country was granted on the grounds that I could continue to support my Thai wife.

I've never changed my visa to a Non Immigrant B. When we had a visit from Kohn Kaen immigration they told me I must change my visa to a Non Imm B to obtain a new work permit  (Utter rubbish of course which shows how ignorant of the law some of the immigration officers are).  When I challenged them on this point they said "you are in our jurisdiction now (Khon Kaen) and so must comply with our requirements"! It's a bit concerning that middle ranking immigration officers don't know the laws they are supposed to enforce - and of course they won't be told or accept something different that a foreigner tells them - if anything having a foreigner tell them their understanding of the law is wrong makes them even more intransigent.

Of course, I have no intention of changing to a Non Imm B visa. I make my 90 day reports to Chaiyaphum immigration (the province in which I live) not Khon Kaen, and I satisfy the financial requirements for remaining in Thailand to support my Thai wife.  I use my UK income to satisfy that financial test. As long as I make my 90 days reports to Chaiyaphum immigration (the province where I live) there's nothing for Khon Kaen immigration (the province where I work) to get upset about when they visit the school and ask to check my passport.  My passport shows that I have permission to stay and that I have been making my 90 day reports on time and regularly.

When I apply to the Labour Office (not immigration) for my new work permit it will be the Khon Kaen Labour Office this time (because the new school is in Khon Kaen province).  My last work permit was issued by Chaiyaphum Labour Office.

It will be interesting to see how the Labour Office staff in Khon Kaen react to my application - should be no different to Chaiyaphum really; although I can't help thinking that if the KK immigration officer is anything to go by I might expect Khon Kaen Labour Office to decide to be difficult.

I have last week seen that my application to Khru Sappha (spelling? - the Teachers Council of Thailand) for a second permit to teach has been successful. This new permit relates to my new school. That permit is being sent to my new school in the mail so ought to be here in a few days.  We will then go to the Khon Kaen Labour Office to submit the documentation for my new work permit.

Khon Kaen immigration told all us foreign teachers at the school that they will be back to visit the school again. We had no warning of their last visit and presumably won't get any warning of their next visit. Should be fun.

We also had rthe Immigration visiting our school, a bigger high school in Sisaket. But they've informed our coordinator ( I'm in for an agency right now) and a few guys went for a coffee.......................

Regarding your Non-O, I had the same problem and had to lecture the Immigration that a Non-O is totally legal to work on. It seems that some of them didn't get that right. Please do not switch and keep your Non-O, regardless what they're trying to tell you. It's wrong.

I wouldn't be on it that they come back, they only have a certain amount of money for gasoline and once that's used up, they've got to stop their visits. My neighbour's one of them who's often got the van........

Should you somehow encounter financial difficulties, you can easily get a Non-O without financial proof in Savannakhet/Laos.

Please be aware that Khurusapha won't complete your provisional license, or also called "waiver", if there's a document missing.

It usually only takes up to three weeks to receive the thingy, so plase do your reseach if they don't send it to you for whatever reason. And i truly hope that you've got a good job and a lot of fun. wai

23All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Topper

Topper
Bronze member
Bronze member

I've got my permit to teach from Krusapha already.  Got my degree and some other teaching & school related certificates.

I have no difficulty satisfying the requirements to keep my Non Imm O visa.  I will not be surrendering it. I have no problem with my 90 day reports to Chaiyaphum, nor do Chaiyaphum immigration have any issues with me holding a work permit and working as a teacher. (I've told them  before).

I have my new medical form from the hospital - passed with flying colours again, as I expected.  My school is refunding my expenses for the cost of the medical (THB640 this time).

Now just down to the school to complete its paperwork.  The school have said they will apply for my work permit - so I even save on the THB3,100 fee.  (Last year, different school, the school made me pay).

24All About Work Permits Empty Re: All About Work Permits Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Topper wrote:I've got my permit to teach from Krusapha already.  Got my degree and some other teaching & school related certificates.

I have no difficulty satisfying the requirements to keep my Non Imm O visa.  I will not be surrendering it. I have no problem with my 90 day reports to Chaiyaphum, nor do Chaiyaphum immigration have any issues with me holding a work permit and working as a teacher. (I've told them  before).

I have my new medical form from the hospital - passed with flying colours again, as I expected.  My school is refunding my expenses for the cost of the medical (THB640 this time).

Now just down to the school to complete its paperwork.  The school have said they will apply for my work permit - so I even save on the THB3,100 fee.  (Last year, different school, the school made me pay).

Congrats! Even when the school has said that they'll apply for your wp, you'll have to fill out the form and sign it. You'll also need some photos, as far as I remember two of them. Best of luck!

25All About Work Permits Empty WP laundry list Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 pm

gungchang

gungchang

I received this today.

1 WP ap
2 signed WP regs form
3 passport & non-im O visa orig & 5 copies
4 degree & transcripts orig & 5 copies
5 CELTA etc orig & 5 copies
6 12 photos 4.5 cm
7 6 photos 3x4 cm
8 doctor certificate inc. blood test for syphilis
9 ICPC for Brits, not asked for at present
10 Thai police check
11 embassy declaration that degree & TEFL are legit (AFAIK US embassy has never done this)
12 MFE stamps #11
13 proof of address (rental contract, title deed, etc.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum