ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

How well does your wife or gf understand your Tinglish?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sirchai

Sirchai

Our son was basically the one who pointed that out and very helpful in helping me when my wife said something completely different to what I was expecting and I checked on it. The result was breathtaking.

It also turned out that we had verbal arguments about things that didn't even exist, it was just a plain misunderstanding. I'm quite happy that I quit drinking because we only had arguments when I had a few Leo's and she didn't understand me.

Okay, I don't want to lie, a Leo from time to time, that's it. But I haven't had a hangover for a long long time and that's good so.

To make a long story short, she couldn't speak English when we met 15 years ago and my Thai was good enough to order some food to say thank you and of course some very bad words.

I never simplify English just to make it easier to understand, with other words, I'd never say: I go Bangkok or similar which I must have heard a million times before used by an NES talking to his Thai spouse.

Since I'm aware of it, I slowed down in speaking speak more clearly and make sure with some questions to find if she really understood me.

Of course, will we never be able to talk about the meaning of life, or if it's true that Americans landed on the moon?  Our son also helped me and points out when I mispronounce a word in Thai.

Now my idea. I want to use one day where only Thai is being spoken and the next day only English. I didn't learn my Thai from my wife and I think that's almost impossible and people would fall off balconies, or worse.

Hows your wife's English when you don't slow down like you'd speak to a dude/ mate/ etc?

Thank you for answering, I hope that I'm not alone. handshake

Rastus

Rastus

I never speak Tinglish. It's either Thai or English.

Sirchai

Sirchai

Rastus wrote:I never speak Tinglish. It's either Thai or English.

We usually speak English, but I've changed my speech, speak slower and more clearly to make sure that she gets all. I wrote Tinglish because I've heard some guys just simplifying English and even when out for a beer, some say things like: " Tomorrow, I go Bangkok", making it easier for wifey, but a fool out of themselves. ( IMO).

Have a nice weekend. wai

Rastus

Rastus

Sirchai wrote: I've heard some guys just simplifying English and even when out for a beer, some say things like: " Tomorrow, I go Bangkok", making it easier for wifey, but a fool out of themselves. ( IMO).

I cringe when I hear native English speakers talk like that. NES teachers who talk like that should be deported (IMVHO). Smile Smile

Sirchai

Sirchai

Rastus wrote:
Sirchai wrote: I've heard some guys just simplifying English and even when out for a beer, some say things like: " Tomorrow, I go Bangkok", making it easier for wifey, but a fool out of themselves. ( IMO).

I cringe when I hear native English speakers talk like that. NES teachers who talk like that should be deported (IMVHO). Smile Smile

You no like, I understand.  thx

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum