ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

To convert or not to convert?

+2
kruhjoe
gungchang
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1To convert or not to convert? Empty To convert or not to convert? Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 pm

gungchang

gungchang

My prior school sent a group of teachers to Lao a couple of times to get non-im B visas.

Then, they insisted on people arriving on tourist visas and converting them.

Getting a tourist visa has an advantage. If a mistake is made converting it to a B visa, it's a wasted trip to the local immigration office.  If there's a problem with the paperwork applying for a non-im B visa at a consulate, you've wasted a trip to another country.

But it can be easier to enter on a non-im visa. A tourist visa holder is more likely to be required to show more cash than I'm comfortable carrying or be denied entry at a land crossing.

Aye, there's the rub!

2To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:04 am

kruhjoe

kruhjoe
Admin
Admin

The "Guest" alias is displayed for deleted users.

http://thailandteaching.info

3To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:14 am

Sirchai

Sirchai

Guest wrote:
gungchang wrote:A "B" visa from a consulate involves a mountain of paperwork.

And it is a bigger mountain if converting at Immigration inside Thailand.

It's not. I've got all the documents sitting on my desk at school.

Did you ever convert a visa at a local Immigration, or have you read that somewhere on the internet?

The document you don't need when visiting a consulate is the provisional TL from Khurusapha.

4To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am

Sirchai

Sirchai

gungchang wrote:
Guest wrote:Strange - it is normally the other way around, and employers want you to go out and get a Non-B. The paperwork to convert in country is far more than if applying at a consulate or embassy.
If you're a newcomer and reading Guest for the first time, please be aware that Guest is a troll.

His posts are misinformation and should not be taken seriously. The exchange you're reading now is an example of troll crap.

+ 1. Please don't believe the (mis)information Guest has given you here. He/she makes it look like it would be way more difficult to convert a visa in Thailand, but it's definitely much better because you don't have to leave the country and waste money.

5To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm

gungchang

gungchang

At this point, further analysis of a troll in action may do little more than feed it.

Any troll post should receive commentary pointing out malicious bullshit, or be deleted.

We've done that.
To convert or not to convert? Troll10

6To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:00 pm

losing_touch

Bronze member
Bronze member

The problem with converting a visa is the length of time it takes. Immigration have informed me that the process will take 15 days to complete, as it needs to be approved by headquarters. If you are in a position where you need to work asap, it might be worthwhile to visit a nearby consulate or embassy.

7To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 pm

ttompatz

ttompatz

It doesn't take 15 days but you are required to have 15 days validity on your remaining period of stay on your TR visa/stamp.
There are a couple of ways to accomplish this.
Rather than the expense of a trip to Laos (6000 baht ish? plus the visa cost) you simply pay for a 30-day extension to your visa and apply for the change of status.
Alternatively, push the admin staff to get it done before you run out of days.

The complicating factor is that the letter from the local education office that authorizes your future employment needs to be "addressed" to the correct party. If you have a letter addressed to immigration then you need a new letter to go to Laos. If you have a letter for Laos then you cannot convert at immigration.

Pick one and get er done.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

8To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am

losing_touch

Bronze member
Bronze member

ttompatz wrote:It doesn't take 15 days but you are required to have 15 days validity on your remaining period of stay on your TR visa/stamp.
Rather than the expense of a trip to Laos (6000 baht ish? plus the visa cost) you simply pay for a 30-day extension to your visa and apply for the change of status.

The complicating factor is that the letter from the local education office that authorizes your future employment needs to be "addressed" to the correct party. If you have a letter addressed to immigration then you need a new letter to go to Laos. If you have a letter for Laos then you cannot convert at immigration.

Here in Phuket it certainly takes two weeks. You need 15 days remaining on your existing permission of stay. The application needs to be sent to Had Yai for approval from the regional headquarters. I ended up going to KL to save time.

9To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

GanDoonToonPet

Be aware that you need MORE THAN 15 days remaining. A teacher at our school found this out recently & had to return to India for 2 weeks for a tourist visa, without pay!

10To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Wed May 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

losing_touch wrote:
ttompatz wrote:It doesn't take 15 days but you are required to have 15 days validity on your remaining period of stay on your TR visa/stamp.

Here in Phuket it certainly takes two weeks.  You need 15 days remaining on your existing permission of stay.  The application needs to be sent to Had Yai for approval from the regional headquarters.  I ended up going to KL to save time.

No matter if it's a visa regulation, the medical certificate, or anything else related to teaching, it seems that they all have their own rules. It's always good to know somebody from the school who comes with you and it won't take two weeks.

11To convert or not to convert? Empty Re: To convert or not to convert? Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:01 pm

gungchang

gungchang

There is one other option: a non-im from Savannakhet. I'm surprised that Savan doesn't have its own thread. If nobody else steps up, I'll chime in sometime in August.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum