ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

No More Alpo /Purina

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No More Alpo /Purina Empty No More Alpo /Purina Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Buoyant

Buoyant
Silver member
Silver member

Alpo/Purina seems to be retooling its dog food line in Thailand.  The new product line was at Big C today (called Purina Super Coat or something similar), and I will not be buying Purina anymore, even though Alpo Puppy has been decent food and I have fed it to all my dogs (now adult) for ten years.

No more.  The new products are billed as more premium food, and are certainly more expensive, but they also contain the most notorious pet food ingredient possible:  Unnamed "meat".  None of the big three dog food brands in Thailand (SmartHeart, Alpo, and Pedigree) have used this until now, and I will not be buying any more Purina.

Why?  Unnamed "meat" can be anything.  Horse meat, dead DOGS and CATS from the vet, dead lab animals, road kill, STRAY DOGS, STOLEN PETS... Anything.

After reviewing all the labels of other foods, I am switching to SmartHeart Adult Chicken and Egg Flavor.  It seems to be the lesser of the evils out there.  My only concern about this SmartHeart product is the amount of food color, but this flavor is a bit less "glowing" than their other flavors.

2No More Alpo /Purina Empty Re: No More Alpo /Purina Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:07 pm

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

I dare you to feed it to pampered pooch to see if it likes it.

3No More Alpo /Purina Empty Re: No More Alpo /Purina Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Buoyant

Buoyant
Silver member
Silver member

I wish to retract my original post.  Two of my dogs reacted badly to even the Smart Heart flavor that seemed least colored (but was nevertheless still colorful).  In the end I switched to Super Coat adult beef flavor, which unlike the chicken flavor, does not contain unnamed mystery "meat" in the ingredients.  The dogs' adverse skin reactions went away.  Purina Super Coat does not contain any artificial colors or flavors, so after the experiences with Smart Heart and other alternative brands, I still have the best results with Purina's new product and trust it more than the other brands.

4No More Alpo /Purina Empty Re: No More Alpo /Purina Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:49 pm

gungchang

gungchang

Thank you for the intel.

We've sold our condo and my wife might buy a house as early as next week. Pet ownership is in the foreseeable future.

5No More Alpo /Purina Empty Re: No More Alpo /Purina Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Rastus

Rastus

That dog food seems quite expensive. Wouldn't it be more economical to buy some meat and cook it yourself?

6No More Alpo /Purina Empty Re: No More Alpo /Purina Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:56 pm

Buoyant

Buoyant
Silver member
Silver member

They already have grilled liver and stir fried chicken breast every day, plus grilled fish on the weekend.  And lots of vegetables and other stuff.  The kibble I use as a base food and to round out the vitamins.  The ten kilo bag is still only a 25% price increase over the discontinued Alpo puppy food that they have eaten all their lives, and to some extent the ingredients are better, so I don't mind.  There are much more expensive premium dog foods out there, so this works for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum