ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Resigning from school after 7 years.

+2
Sirchai
Ajarn_Greg
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Resigning from school after 7 years. Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Ajarn_Greg

It's been sometime since my last appearance here but I took my time to make my decisions. As many of you remember from the previous forum I was planning to give up with teaching in Thailand and move to a more Westernized part of the globe.
However after 7 years here finding a job there is not the easiest thing that anybody can expect. Many friends told me that I had a perfect cv before Thailand and destroyed it with 7 years as a teacher here.
I was in a dead - end till on the end of July we got the news that we are expecting a second child. In the meantime I got my golden card so in a way I will have a secure income if I stay in Thailand.
Logic says stay in Thailand and change school to achieve better income. My choice though was to resign from my current school and trip back to Europe for a couple of months to chase a decent work.
I have submitted my letter today and next month ... the hardest part begins now!

2Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Ajarn_Greg wrote:   It's been sometime since my last appearance here but I took my time to make my decisions. As many of you remember from the previous forum I was planning to give up with teaching in Thailand and move to a more Westernized part of the globe.
  However after 7 years here finding a job there is not the easiest thing that anybody can expect. Many friends told me that I had a perfect cv before Thailand and destroyed it with 7 years as a teacher here.
  I was in a dead - end till on the end of July we got the news that we are expecting a second child. In the meantime I got my golden card so in a way I will have a secure income if I stay in Thailand.
  Logic says stay in Thailand and change school to achieve better income. My choice though was to resign from my current school and trip back to Europe for a couple of months to chase a decent work.
  I have submitted my letter today and next month ... the hardest part begins now!  

Hi, Greg. Congratulations to another child, I truly hope that you’ll find what you’re looking for. Please think twice before you sign a new contract and double check the conditions at your new institution.

Even having the golden card doesn’t necessarily get you a better-paid job, a good example might be a quite valuable member from TTA.

I think it’s pretty odd when administrators from schools discriminate you because you’re not an NES. He must have gone through rough waters and I hope that nobody’s mad here when I mention what’s happened to him.

If you read between the lines you’ll know who he is.

The Thai head teacher of the school didn’t really appreciate his development, instead of having a better pay, did he receive less money than any other backpacking NES newbie without any experience.

The same head didn’t even talk to him because he “looked like an Asian teacher, but he wasn’t from Asia.” An experienced teacher like him had not even 30 K per month, while a newbie from Loch Ness started with 5-6 K more.

All he could/can do is to get an extra income by tutoring kids from his school.

Please make sure that you know a lot about the "new school" before you sign anything. Best of luck for your future. wai

3Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Ajarn_Greg

Thanks for the interest and the wishes!
As per the school change advises I think you've lost the following line from my message:
"trip back to Europe for a couple of months to chase a decent work."

4Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

Ajarn_Greg wrote:Thanks for the interest and the wishes!
As per the school change advises I think you've lost the following line from my message:
"trip back to Europe for a couple of months to chase a decent work."

Thanks, I've read it and wanted to wish you best of luck when you're back in LOS!

Of course also to find such a "decent work/job." Ouzo comes to mind....wai

5Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 am

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Hello Greg,

Good luck on the next step. You are so brave but also, at least in my view, totally right to attempt to find a 'better' life for yourself. Good luck with the arrival of your second child.

bf

6Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 pm

Rastus

Rastus

Good luck, Greg, in whatever you do.

7Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 pm

tullkra

Good luck. You will find something back home in Europe just be patient if you can.

8Resigning from school after 7 years. Empty Re: Resigning from school after 7 years. Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 am

gungchang

gungchang

I was confronted with a similar decision a few years ago. I opted to take time away from Thailand.

It's worked out, and I've knocked a few items off my bucket list.  However, I dodged a lot of bullets the first year & 1/2.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum