Discussion Board & Information Site for Foreign Teachers in Thailand

Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, living in Thailand, education news, and more. . .

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion Board & Information Site for Foreign Teachers in Thailand » Teacher Licencing » The Thai Culture Course

The Thai Culture Course

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am

gungchang

The Thai Culture Course is one of those moving targets that makes getting a license so much fun!

This thread is for sharing any information about when it is going to offered again.

SG-1 is exploring the galaxy and should report back soon.

This thread is also for sharing how you did it.

My road involved nobody saying anything to me for two years, and then scrambling to complete it within two weeks.  I found a less than ideal provider and then I found Mahidol University.  It was bit pricey because I stayed at the on campus student operated hotel.  It was very convenient.  From our room, it was about a five second walk down the hall to the conference room.  After the field trip, I was able to shower.  Very nice.  And, the sanctioning body was Mahidol Univ.  I can't say enough about it.

2 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Mike123_ca

I took my Thai culture course at Kurusapa. At that time it was not necessary to have your Education degree or diploma prior to signing up for the course.

The only reason I've took at the teacher's council is that I heard stories Kurusapa rejecting Thai culture certificates from other schools at a later date.

3 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm

bahn_farang

Admin
Admin
Did mine at Payap, dragged a bunch of teachers from the school where I was at too. Remember them grumbling then but I guess they are smiling now

4 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am

BKKSomchai

Mike123_ca wrote:

The only reason I've took at the teacher's council is that I heard stories Kurusapa rejecting Thai culture certificates from other schools at a later date.

I did it once with AYC which later on wasn't recognized... and then later on with an international school which i *think* is recognized.

5 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:50 pm

natewill

I should have my teaching diploma in my hot little hands from IFUGAO University in the next month or two. So, as of August 2017, what's the story on the Thai Culture Course? Last I checked, there were 4 or 5 'legitimate' providers for about 4,500 baht or so. Is that still the case?

I notice that the Standard Teaching Licence Requirements for Foreign Teachers doesn't list the Thai Culture Course as a requirement....

6 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Sirchai

BKKSomchai wrote:
Mike123_ca wrote:

I did it once with AYC which later on wasn't recognized...   and then later on with an international school which i *think* is recognized.

Well, that sounds so familiar. I did mine with AYC in April 2009 when they'd promised that it would be accredited by TCT.

The whole show was done at a nice hotel in Kanchanaburi and it was more a " Who can drink more alcohol" meeting of AYC teachers. ( Were you there?)

But I already had one from 2008 that was held by the Private Teachers' Association" in Khon Kaen, which is accredited.

Here's the one million $ question:

Why would somebody need a new Thai culture or cultural awareness course after so many years of living and working in LOS?

But I do believe that some people need such a course. People who sit on Thai teachers desks and don't understand that they shouldn't put their legs on a desk and point at Thai colleagues with them. And other phenomena....handshake

7 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:09 am

natewill

Update for those following along at home: the current word from Khurusapha is that the Thai Culture Course is not currently required to get a Thai teacher's license.

8 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Mike123_ca

natewill wrote:Update for those following along at home: the current word from Khurusapha is that the Thai Culture Course is not currently required to get a Thai teacher's license.

Are they planning to get rid of the Thai culture course?

9 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 pm

ttompatz

We have had several of our teachers RECENTLY (within the last 90 days) get their yellow card without the need of the Culture Course.

They DID need proof of a completed education qualification (more than 24 credit hours) along with their police clearance, passport, work permit, and some other minor paperwork from the school.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

10 Re: The Thai Culture Course on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 pm

gungchang

Mike123_ca wrote:Are they planning to get rid of the Thai culture course?

It would almost make sense.  The raison d'etre for the course vanished along with the TCT TKT.

My reasoning is that people with home country credentials &/or advanced degrees would probably already know a bit about Thailand before relocating.

If you want to help somebody, warn them not to indulge students who want to hear a farang laugh, etc.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum