Discussion Board & Information Site for Foreign Teachers in Thailand

Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, living in Thailand, education news, and more. . .

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion Board & Information Site for Foreign Teachers in Thailand » Teacher Licencing » Can I get the licence on my own???

Can I get the licence on my own???

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Can I get the licence on my own??? on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Spidey

Hello to all,

I have a question. I am now on a temp waiver at my school. Getting this wasnt a problem BUT no so long ago I went to the lady and asked about getting the FULL LICENCE. She shook her head and said 'mailoo'...and seemed to want to have nothing to do with it. I do know for a fact that no farang teachers at my school have EVER had a licence, so they have never had to get one......so.....

I contacted the son of the owner of the school who is also the Director. There is a 'sister school or 'main' school in Bangkok under the same ownership. Its a much bigger place with many more farang teachers. The director told me that no one had a teaching licence there BUT that he would enquire with the office of that school. Sounds ok I suppose.....

Now, if it takes too long to get something happening can I do it myself? I have a few VERY competent Thai female friends that could accompany me. I am aware that the school needs to provide me with some info, but it cant be much. I get the feeling that the office at my school cant be bothered and that the director may...or may not get around to doing anything.

I have ALL the quals necessary (minus the magic Thai Culture Course)

Whaddayareckon?

2 Re: Can I get the licence on my own??? on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

bahn_farang

Admin
Admin
Very much possible to do it 'alone'. Would go further that the full license is the responsibility of the teacher and not the school. It is your license, not the school's. I don't really see as why it would have anything to do with the school save for the letter confirming that you are employed there and have been for x years.

You will need a letter expressing that you are have worked at the school since xxxx, but that is it. I did the rest alone. Just stay friendly with the mailoo brigade since the licence will most probably be sent to the school.

You will need the culture course, how you will get this is the next challenge.

Good luck

3 Re: Can I get the licence on my own??? on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:54 am

gungchang

bahn_farang wrote: I don't really see as why it would have anything to do with the school save for the letter confirming that you are employed there and have been for x years.

I wondered about this.  My school was very eager to get me licensed and I was surprised that Spidey's was not.

Then I recalled that my "farewell letter" stated that I'd worked for them for one year, not six.

Hold that thought.

My old school does not willingly pay severance.

Hold that thought, too.

BF and t-patz seem expert in these matters.  Is it possible that not writing the letter that the teacher has been with the school for x years, &/or that the teacher isn't licensed, somehow help the school dodge paying any severance pay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum