ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Microsoft Surface RT

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Microsoft Surface RT Empty Microsoft Surface RT Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm

gungchang

gungchang

Years ago, new Microsoft Surfaces went for 5,500 baht. The value for money was unquestionable.

Used Surface RT's turn up from time to time.

For not much more than what Apple charges for a couple of iPad accessories, you're up and running.

It sports USB ports, so no special cables are needed, other than for the AC adaptor. Generic adaptors are dirt cheap on ebay, so this isn't a problem.

Yes, there are software compatibility issues, and one update left me unable to run VLC media player.

Still, I used it to access the internet in the teacher room in Lampang, and prepared lessons on it (both with an external keyboard). I took it to class with external speakers and walked around the classroom with it.

It had a larger display than my work horse HP Mini 110 and I used it at home.

In Mongolia I used it when no projector was available.

Now, it's in retirement, and my wife watches Thai TV on it.

It's been an incredibly rugged and useful investment.

If you're not at all good with a computer, you'd be better off spending five times the money on a "real" surface of even an iPad.

If you have even a scintilla of IT savvy, the phrase "you should have bought an iPad" is pure bullshit.

Go with a Surface or a Chinese Windows/Android dual boot.

Think twice before attempting a Linux multi-boot with a Windows/Android UEFI machine.

Now, I use a Cube iWork 10 or a Pipo X10 in class.

A Pipo W9S is my workhorse at home. The HP Mini 110 and the Asus are both in Bangkok.

I often use them together, notable language study text on one machine and audio on another.

I own an old iMac and iPod, by the way. It's not as if I haven't tried Apple products, or dealt with the cult members whose mantra is "it does everything I want."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum