ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

You are not connected. Please login or register

ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site » Teacher Licencing »  Is Ifugao still good enough for the license and some other questions..

Is Ifugao still good enough for the license and some other questions..

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sirchai

Is the Dipl. in Te Ed from Ifugao still accredited by Khurusapha? Does it somehow affect the Diploma, if they've ( St. Robert's ) finally decided to go/deal with another university from the PI?

If so, what would I need from my school to apply for the license, considering that I'm not directly employed?

The Diploma comes with a letter for Khurusapha, I've got my original BA authenticated in three languages by the Honorary Consul of my country.

I've got an additional 150 hour TESOL, a by Khurusapha in 2015 accepted Thai culture and awareness course from a Private Teacher's organisation, plus quite a lot of other certificates and courses.

I'm now trying to apply for the license in the next weeks and I'm trying to manage that in one Bangkok run. Is that possible? My apologies for asking so many questions, answers are deeply appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. wai

Qwerty

Bronze member
Bronze member
I don't have the link, but there is a Thai MOE webpage that lists the accredited Universities by country.  Both Ifugao and PCU are listed there, so the MOE is ok with their degrees.

While the TCT may do their own thing, they are unlikely to go against the MOE.

"If so, what would I need from my school to apply for the license, considering that I'm not directly employed? "

The licence belongs to you, so hopefully being an agency teacher will not make any difference. In fact, you probably don't even need to be employed to apply for the full licence, all you need to be is qualified.

ttompatz

I bet that the school is listed on your work permit as your employer (not the agency).

If that is the case then you need the credentials, work permit, passport (information and visa pages) evaluation from the HOD/school director. Kor Sor 1 form. photo, 500 baht and some other school documents (listed in the application form).

If the agency is the employer of record on your WP then you are out of luck since you are not a "teacher".

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

Sirchai

ttompatz wrote:I bet that the school is listed on your work permit as your employer (not the agency).

If that is the case then you need the credentials, work permit, passport (information and visa pages) evaluation from the HOD/school director. Kor Sor 1 form. photo, 500 baht and some other school documents (listed in the application form).

If the agency is the employer of record on your WP then you are out of luck since you are not a "teacher".

Thank you very much for clarification. The school is my employer, a contract in Thai was made right after employment to get a WP.

Time to go for it. Cheers.- wai

tullkra

Hi Guys

Me again

So I still haven't gotten my ass in gear to do an Education Degree but I'm slowly getting there as in I've sign my contract for another year in my current hotel but I really think that this will be the last year and although the money is good, the politics in hotels is doing my head in so I'm hoping to save to be able to start one of the courses but I"m not sure which one.

Reality is that I need it for teaching in Thailand mainly with possibility of it being accepted in Laos or other SEA countries. I need it to be NOT expensive. If can pay in installment as you study even better. Are there any that you can do the course while NOT being in a school?? I'm a little worried about getting the waiver to work in a school as I've already had 3 when I worked in Krabi but I have had new passports since working in the school so this might give me a clean sheet.

Anyone any thoughts. I'm probably doing a few peoples heads in bring this up every now and again but getting closer to going this way now.

Thanks guys

M

ttompatz

St. Roberts / IFUAGO or Inter Asian International Education will hook you into a post grad 1-year teaching diploma (Our Lady of Perpetual Help University, etc).

They are legitimate programs but are from Philippine universities (primarily used by Filipinos wanting to get their teacher license at home).

They have small entrance fees and the rates are about b5000/month for the duration.  
They will get you a Thai teacher's license (providing you are currently teaching) and one more Teacher's Waiver regardless of how many you had in the past.

This all assumes of course that you already have a bachelor degree in something.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

Qwerty

Bronze member
Bronze member
Also, when you apply for a TL you will need, not only your BA/BS and your Filipino Grad Dip, but also a letter of recommendation and an evaluation from the director of a school that you are currently working for. You will have to have been employed at that school for at least one calendar year. If you are directly employed by a hotel, rather than at a school, you may have some difficulties applying for a TL.

Rastus

tullkra wrote:Hi Guys

Me again

So I still haven't gotten my ass in gear to do an Education Degree but I'm slowly getting there as in I've sign my contract for another year in my current hotel but I really think that this will be the last year and although the money is good, the politics in hotels is doing my head in so I'm hoping to save to be able to start one of the courses but I"m not sure which one.

Reality is that I need it for teaching in Thailand mainly with possibility of it being accepted in Laos or other SEA countries. I need it to be NOT expensive. If can pay in installment as you study even better. Are there any that you can do the course while NOT being in a school?? I'm a little worried about getting the waiver to work in a school as I've already had 3 when I worked in Krabi but I have had new passports since working in the school so this might give me a clean sheet.

Anyone any thoughts. I'm probably doing a few peoples heads in bring this up every now and again but getting closer to going this way now.

Thanks guys

M

Do the DipTEd with St Roberts/PCU (Philippine Christian University).
THB65,000 total cost. One academic year. Installments are OK
Sign up for the course, pay THB5,000 deposit, and request confirmation of enrollment and present that to the TCT. That should get you another waiver to enable you to teach and study the course.

Sirchai

Qwerty wrote:Also, when you apply for a TL you will need, not only your BA/BS and your Filipino Grad Dip, but also a letter of recommendation and an evaluation from the director of a school that you are currently working for.  You will have to have been employed at that school for at least one calendar year.  If you are directly employed by a hotel, rather than at a school, you may have some difficulties applying for a TL.

You need an evaluation where three teacher, ( or two?) will evaluate you, ( just on paper) and you'll need copies of their teacher's licences.

The director's ID card is also useful. Good luck!!!

How can I insert PDF files?

kruhjoe

Admin
Admin
First click the "Post Reply" button, and then it's below the message box.

http://www.thailandteaching.info

Hey_ewe

All the documents needed to apply for the full licence are on the Khrusapa website, including the recommendation/assessment forms for the Thai teachers.  I think it's two Thai teachers and an educational administrator.  

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=license&SiteMenuID=219

One thing you should be aware of is that St Roberts/IFUGAO no longer seem to offer the courses outside of Bangkok, which was a big bonus.  I think the initial surge of people taking the course has eased up a bit, so they don't have the numbers required to teach classes outside of Bangkok.  Double check with them but that was the case last time I spoke to Grace a month or so ago.  I think they needed at least 15 students.

Last edited by Hey_ewe on Tue May 08, 2018 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to include a link the website)

Mike123_ca

Hey_ewe wrote:

One thing you should be aware of is that St Roberts/IFUGAO no longer seem to offer the courses outside of Bangkok, which was a big bonus.  I think the initial surge of people taking the course has eased up a bit, so they don't have the numbers required to teach classes outside of Bangkok.  Double check with them but that was the case last time I spoke to Grace a month or so ago.  I think they needed at least 15 students.

When I speak with other teachers here in Ubon Ratchathaini, they would like to get their 5 year license, but the amount of travel and added expense is a major barrier for most teachers. Until khrusapa starts to limit the number of teaching waivers and schools be penalized  for hiring ineligibly teachers. Otherwise nothing will change here.

Hey_ewe

Yes, studying in Korat was a big help. Bangkok is a fair trek when you've been working all week. Which for me at least, was why it was a good idea to get it done when the first offered the course in Korat. I knew the number of long term teachers in the local area, who were interested in taking the course would start to dry up after a few courses. The St Roberts course has minimal face to face classes, I'd say the most you'd be attending is once a month. I personally think it it's worth it if you're living and working here long term. If it were me, I'd fly to Bangkok from Ubon and make a weekend of it.

I know people who've had 5+ waivers. I personally, would rather not have the stress of not knowing if a waiver is going to be forthcoming every 2 years. Some people are happy to live life 'freestyle' and things usually work out here in Thailand but there is always a lot of stress and jumping through hoops involved.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum