Discussion Board & Information Site for Foreign Teachers in Thailand

Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, living in Thailand, education news, and more. . .

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion Board & Information Site for Foreign Teachers in Thailand » The Teachers' Lounge » Whats happened to teaching in Thailand??

Whats happened to teaching in Thailand??

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Whats happened to teaching in Thailand?? on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 am

Spidey

I have been thinking about this...

Ajarn.com forum gone...Thailandteachingasia...gone and this board isnt exactly a 'hub' of activity. Is this a sign of how many farangs actually left Thailand over the last 5 years? There was a clampdown and it affected a few people I knew but is the issue bigger?

Whats left? The few of us that can actually get work permits legitimately (not a large group) and people working on marriage/ retirement visas. I guess its all the tourist visa people that have gone. Is that it? Is that what has happened?

2 Re: Whats happened to teaching in Thailand?? on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm

ttompatz

Most people are using other social media. FaceBook is big and there are several groups.
This board (and Teaching in Thailand) are more specialized and focused on those who can get work permits and potentially teacher's licenses.

The trolls and riff-raff that frequented Ajarnforum.com have pretty much left to other pastures but you can still find a few of them over on Thaivisa.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

3 Re: Whats happened to teaching in Thailand?? on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Hey_ewe

Back after a hiatus! I had a few issues logging in and just didn't have the time to persue it.

Although some teachers may have left for Vietnam, China or Korea they are replaced by fresh blood. Everyone I work with still has a work permit however some are on 'education consultant' contracts coupled with a marriage visa or similar. There are a lot of Filipino teachers but they tend to be in the normal programs rather than the English Programs. We have around 50 foreign teachers in our school being a mixture of NES, Filipino and African teachers.

4 Re: Whats happened to teaching in Thailand?? on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Sirchai

It seems that Khurusapha is way more relaxed with giving out two year licenses, no matter if it's number four, or five?

5 Re: Whats happened to teaching in Thailand?? on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:02 pm

ttompatz

Listed on their update on the website as (as of Oct this year) a maximum of 6 years on waivers.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ttompatz

6 Re: Whats happened to teaching in Thailand?? on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm

gungchang

We had a "teacher" (no degree, no license, and a Micky Mouse meaningless TEFL cert) who got the boot after six years of waivers.

It's nice to hear that KSP can draw a line in the sand and enforce it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum